Friday 3 January 2014

So I am starting a new year with a new D-O-G. Here she is:





Sadly, not long before Christmas, I had to take the awful decision to have my last D-O-G put to sleep. This is possibly the hardest decision I have ever had to make. The worst part is the guilt - does he understand why I am condemning him to death? Would he agree with the decision if he could communicate? Would he get better if I waited a bit longer?



Merlin was an exceptional dog; super-intelligent, extremely communicative, unfaultably obedient and devoted. He had a unique character, fun, witty (in a canine way), remarkably telepathic, and he loved life and loved me. I shall never forget him and, even though our house now has a new dog to fill the empty corners, I still miss Merlin every single day. He's buried at the end of our garden, with a Japanese Maple Tree over him.

 A good friend of mine sent me a poem by Rudyard Kipling  - it expresses beautifully the ache of not hearing those four feet trotting behind you ... here it is:

Four-Feet

I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through --
Wherever my road inclined --
Four-feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round, --
Which I shall never find --
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.



Goodbye Merlin, my friend.

2 comments:

  1. You made the right decision. It would be cruel to prolong a dog's suffering. Having said that I hope I am as brave when the time comes for my dog. He's only three, but I'm dreading that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manky. It had to be done. The poor boy just couldn't go on any longer.

    ReplyDelete